I didn't feel well this morning so we did not go to Church today. Instead, Julia and I listened to a James MacDonald "Walk in the Word" sermon that I had on the computer. The topic was out of Mark 9 and was about mountain top experiences or spiritual high points in a persons’ life. This was actually the 3rd message in a series of 3 that he did. The sermon was wonderful just like they usually are, but something really caught me today. I wrote down two quotes that James said and here they are:
"Can God's word change your opinion on something?" and
"You have not had a 'mountain top experience' if you do not have a greater reverence of God’s word."
Both of these really made me realize something, but I am only going to address one right now.
I have always been a firm believer in the power that scripture has. As I was listening to the story of the transfiguration, James MacDonald asked the first question. I started thinking about it and I realized what he was saying. People are always saying, "well I believe this way about such and such" or "well my opinion is this." That is fine, but where is scripture in our beliefs or opinions? You see James MacDonald was actually asking his listeners this question. "How powerful is scripture in your life?" You see someone can believe, I'll use his example, abortion is ok, but when they read what scripture says about it, can it have the influence in their life to change their opinion? Do they allow the power of God’s Word to change how they view abortion? This really hit home to me. You see, I have met so many people that just read the Bible and say, "it is a great moral teaching," or "the New Testament teaches love and acceptance and so the Old Testament is 'out of date,'" or even "the Bible is our religious teaching and shouldn't effect our social or political views." Do you see what is being said here? They are rationalizing in their own minds, away the authority of Scripture. They are effectively saying that they will not allow the Bible to change their opinions. The question is not "Can God’s Word change your opinion on something?" rather it is "Can you allow God's Word to change your opinion on something?" In the end I say let Scripture speak for itself.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment